The Bible says that the power of life and death are in the tongue (Proverbs 18:21). Now this is no understatement!
You can either choose to speak positive words of encouragement, love, and creativity for yourself and others around you or, you can release negative, criticizing and harsh words that can destroy lives. The choice is yours.
Below are 20 resolutions adapted from the book of James to tame your tongue. (Courtesy: Dr. Sinclair Ferguson, South Carolina.)
- To ask God for wisdom to speak out of a single-minded devotion to him. (1:5)
- To boast only in the exultation I receive in Jesus Christ and also in the humiliation I receive for Jesus Christ. (1:9-10)
- To set a watch over my mouth. (1:13)
- To be constantly quick to hear and slow to speak. (1:19)
- To learn the gospel way of speaking to both rich and poor. (2:1-4)
- To speak in the present consciousness of my final judgment. (2:12)
- To never to stand on anyone’s face with the words I employ. (2:16)
- Never to claim as reality in my life what I do not truly experience. (3:14)
- To resist quarrelsome words as evidence of a bad heart that needs to be mortified. (4:1)
- Never to speak decided evil against another out of a heart of antagonism. (4:11)
- Never to boast in anything but what I will accomplish. (4:13)
- To speak as one subject to the providences of God. (4:15)
- Never to grumble. The judge is at the door. (5:9)
- Never to allow anything but total integrity in everything I say. (5:12)
- To speak to God in prayer whenever I suffer. (5:13)
- To sing praises to God whenever I’m cheerful. (5:14)
- To ask for the prayers of others when I’m in need. (5:14)
- To confess it whenever I have failed. (5:15)
- To pray with others for one another whenever I am together with them. (5:15)
- To speak words of restoration when I see another wander. (5:19)
Remember ‘taming’ comes with practice and discipline. Go ahead, hit that print button and stick this on your wall, where you can read and practice it again and again. Share these resolutions with your believer friends. Let’s join the T3 drive and allow the word of God to have a tight rein on our tongues.
Comment below to let us know you are in! Share with the GTH community other verses from the Bible, books, audio/video links on this topic.