- Featured Bible Study: 30 Christian Basics – Sign Up Now!
- The Father, Son & the Holy Spirit – Understanding The Trinity
- Father God and His Heart For Us – 30 Bible Study Series
- Who is Jesus? Answering a Question That Millions Have Asked
- Who is The Holy Spirit? – You Have a Personal Helper!
- Spirit, Soul and Body – 30 Bible Study Series
- What is Sin? And How to Overcome It!
- What Did Jesus Do For Me?
- How to Follow Jesus – 6 Practical Ways! [30 Bible Basics]
- Water Baptism – Why, How & Most Asked Questions
- How to Activate Your Faith [30 Bible Basics]
- The What, Where & How to Pray Effectively
- What is Worship? 7 Stages – 30 Bible Basics
- How to Read the Bible and What Matters the Most – 30 Bible Basics
- Is the Bible True? – 30 Bible Basics
- What is Christianity & Where Did It Come From? [Understanding Christian History]
- How to Know The Will of God?
- 5 Ways to Receive the Power of the Holy Spirit
- What are the Gifts of the Holy Spirit?
- All You Need to Know About Speaking in Tongues
- Red Hot Temptation!
- 7 Keys for Fruitful Witnessing
- Spiritual Warfare – Weapons of a Believer
- The Five Offices of the Church – 30 Bible Basics
- Living the Life, Walking the Talk
- Serving the Body of Christ – Who, How & 4 CheckPoints
- How Important is the Fellowship of Believers?
- Why Give? – Tithes, Offerings & First Fruits – 30 Bible Basics
- Full Truth About the Second Coming of Jesus
- Finally, then, Brothers and Sisters, We Urge You
‘Gifts of the Holy Spirit’ is one of the highly debated issues in the Christian world today. However how much ever one may argue or debate, let us understand the truth that the God of the Bible is still the Lord of the universe and the Jesus of the apostles is still the Lord over the church, and the Spirit that equipped and empowered the Apostles still equips and empowers those that surrender to Him. And like Paul said our preaching should not just be a use of plausible word of wisdom but in the demonstration of the Spirit and of power. (1 Cor 2:4). That is why the devil fights the use of these gifts inside the church and outside.
The gift of the Holy Spirit is a supernatural ability given to an ordinary human being through the infilling and the empowering of the Holy Spirit in order to fulfill his/her functionality within the church. Paul explains it very beautifully in 1 Cor 12, where he mentions how a person with these gifts are like different parts of the body that have different functions but all are part of the same body–the Church and empowered by the same agent–the Holy Spirit and serving the same Lord Jesus who is the head of the Church.
Gifts Not Talents
Many a time we confuse between our God-given talents and the Spirit empowered gifts. God has blessed us with many natural abilities and resources like singing or organizing or networking or a great intelligence which are talents and He expects us to be good stewards of these talents as mentioned in Matthew 25:14-30. However gifts are supernatural and are much above and greater than our natural capabilities. You discover a talent at anytime during your life, but you receive a gift through the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
Gifts vs Fruits
This has been the greatest challenge with many ministers and churches alike. There are many who focus on gifts and thus ignore the fruits that fuel and sustain the character of the minister and the ministry. And then there are others who emphasize on the fruits and completely ignore the importance of the use of gifts which is equally foolish. What is the use of a very healthy body that doesn’t talk, walk or work? That’s the state of a church that ignores gifts. You know the tree by its fruits, but it is the gifts that keep edifying the church and pushing into forward direction.
The Purpose of the Gifts
Why do we need the gifts of the Holy Spirit? While some of the gifts are for the edification of an individual believer or a church as a whole, others are a sign for the unbelievers that God is alive and present in that place. (1 Cor 12:7, 1 Cor 14:22-24). However none of these gifts are for personal gains or marketing purposes. That is the abuse of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Please understand that the gifts of God are irrevocable. (Rom 11:29) Even if you abuse the gift, God might not necessarily take away the gift, but it could cost us our destiny in God like Moses couldn’t lead the people into Canaan. Hence we ought to be extremely careful as to how to, and where to use these gifts.
Here, are few of gifts of the Holy Spirit that are mentioned in different places in scripture. Each of the gift is very essential and integral part of the church. In fact some of the gifts are a full time calling of some ministers, this we will discuss later in detail in, “The Five Offices of the Church”.
“All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as He wills.” (1 Cor 12:11)
In conclusion, it is not really enough that we be baptized by the Holy Spirit, but it is essential that we be endowed by the gifts of the Holy Spirit so that we can be of benefit to the body of Christ. Let us earnestly desire for these gifts and its your hunger that the Lord will fill.
Have you had questions about the gifts of Holy Spirit? If yes please discuss them in the comments below, How has the Lord used your spiritual gifts for the edification of another believer or your church? We would love to hear about it!
Next in the series: All You Need to Know About Speaking in Tongues
Want us to notify you when we post content like this on GTH-Blog?
Now join 9700+ subscribers to receive these posts.