I stumbled upon this awesome teaching by Mars Hill Church Pastor, Mark Discroll on the Pride Test. I thought sharing it would bless some of us. You can follow him on twitter: @PastorMark
Here is the video:
For those who could not watch it, here are the notes of the same.
Give 1 point to each of the questions you answer ‘yes’ to.
1. Do you long for a lot of attention?
By being dramatic? By being needy, desperate? By being pushy, demanding? By getting all the attention?
2. Do you become jealous or critical of people who succeed?
Are you negative of everyone who succeeds? I could do better than them feeling? Start with humility.
3. Do you always have to win?
4. Do you have a pattern of lying?
Hiding truth to make people to like you.
5. Do you have a hard time acknowledging that you were wrong?
Do you blame shift? Shift the argument? Defend yourself?
6. Do you have a lot of conflicts with other people?
Proud and proud have a lot of conflicts.
7. Do you cut in line in the queue, in the lane?
8. Do you get upset when people do not honour your achievements?
Does it matter if they do not thank you or send you a card? Wait for Jesus to say well done good and faithful servant.
9. Do you tend more toward an attitude of entitlement or thankfulness?
10. Do you honestly feel you are basically a good person and superior to others?
Do you feel you are smart and everyone else is stupid?
[ Scoring – If you scored 1- 10: you are proud, if you scored 0: you are very proud!]
Humility can lead to honor. (Reading: Luke 14: 7-11)
Start with humility and God will raise you up. Or, start with pride and God will knock you down.
Whenever you are ready, God will promote you.
Proud people make the worst spouse, worst friend, worst church member.
Are you going to start low and end high or start high and end low? (Video End)
How did you do on your test and what was the most painful question?
The question that most pricked me was cutting in the lane. Now as much I want to blame the Indian traffic system, I know I’d fail again 🙂 I need to pray and work on my patience.
What pricked you the most? Leave your thoughts and score below.