Have you ever been there – feeling betrayed by God? No, of course I’m not talking to the perfect saints but more to the ones like me that are still being perfected.
I have never had a week in my life like last week when my heart was repeatedly crushed, again and again, by the stories from God’s people. Out of these, four of them mentioned how they felt betrayed by God.
Now don’t be too quick to judge them because they still assured they loved God, but somehow the enemy had convinced them that God had betrayed them.
And in all those cases the common element of disappointment was God failing to respond when they wanted and in a way they wanted.
That disappointment was also because they were so sure in their faith that something of that dimension won’t happen.
Here are a few steps to consider at all times:
1. Fight Strengthens a Believer
Don’t let your faith be shaken when terrible things happen. Even though this sounds like something obvious, sometimes it just needs to be reminded.
2. Get Your Perspective Right!
Compare yourself with the generals of God in the Bible. How bad is your situation to what Apostle Paul has been to? How much wealth or how many children have you lost in comparison to Job? How hot is the fire in your life in comparison to the one that Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were bound and thrown into?
There’s nothing that you go through today that has not been previously overcome. [ClickToTweet] NOTHING. If one man could overcome it, so can you!
3. Your Miracle Starts in Your Mind
If you are defeated in your mind, then you are defeated in life. [ClickToTweet] If you think you have lost, you have.
The real defeat happens when you do not get back up! What are you waiting for? There’s no prince coming to your rescue on a horseback; you’ve got to get back yourself! Don’t wait for angels to drop in when you know that great men like King David strengthened himself in the Lord. (Read more on this.) You can too!
4. People? So What?
Trust me when I tell you that they have their own problems they are hiding from. What people think is not bigger than what your Heavenly Father thinks of you! [ClickToTweet] The biggest struggle people seem to have is the shame of what people think about them.
Here is something important to learn: Your humiliation is not humiliating, if it’s you that is humbling. [ClickToTweet]
Each time you fight God and fight the reality of your disappointment and defend yourself before people, you allow the shame to get bigger. On the other hand, when you are quick to accept the failure and that you are human too, then there is great growth!
Truly, God has helped you be humble before people. And it is the humble that God lifts. To the wise man, this point is a treasure!
5. Time to Grow!
I am sure it’s hurting. I know what you mean. But nonetheless, it’s not time to die! It’s time to grow!
Start With Your Mind
– Renew your mind with God’s Word. (Please know this is the only place you can be truly strengthened. So seriously, OPEN YOUR BIBLE, will ya?!!)
– Time to get back in prayer. (So what if sin always pushes you away from God? He is still your Father and He is still waiting for you. He has kept the promise to never to leave you and He is waiting right where you left Him. Ok enough. Shut the door and pour out your heart to Him. Yes, it’s ok to weep before Him. In fact, it’s the best place to weep your pain away.)
– Fellowship. (Yup, stop isolating yourself for the shame of what people think. The devil loves to isolate people to himself before he can go for the kill! [ClickToTweet] Ignore (and love) the unkind. Fellowship, love and honour the ones God is sending in your life at this point, while at the same time, continue to guard your heart while remembering they are not perfect either.)
6. What More Points Do You Want? That’s It. It’s Time to FLY!
Read this loud:
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. Psalm 103:2-5 (ESV)
Question: What caused you to feel betrayed? How have you overcome this? What is the Lord teaching you today through this post? Any other questions? Share below.